Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

“My Gust Attendance Record Is My Responsibility!”

Upfront Agreement for MCM 103

Memo To: Dr. John Hayes

From: ____________________________________________
                (Print Your Name & Student Number Above)

Re: Attendance in Course____________________________
                                               (Print Course Title/# Above)

I clearly understand that it’s my personal responsibility to maintain my attendance record at GUST, and I give you my word that I will manage my attendance record at all times during this semester. Just to be clear, Dr. Hayes, I want you to know that:

1.     I know and acknowledge that class begins on time and I am considered late at 5 minutes after the start time. There are no excuses and no explanations allowed. Heavy traffic, accidents, forgotten ID cards, illnesses, etc., are all realities of life, but they may never be offered as reasons for missing a class or arriving late for class. If I’m late for a class, I will not embarrass myself, or disturb my colleagues, by offering any excuse. If the door to the classroom is closed, I will NOT knock on it. I’ll know that I missed the class and I’ll be marked as absent for that day. . . . I also understand that this rule is necessary because some students at GUST are habitually late, and late arrivals interrupt the class. For the sake of students who attend classes regularly, and on time, late arrivals cannot be permitted. This rule facilitates learning, which is why we’re enrolled at GUST.

2.     From time to time, for whatever reason, I may have to miss a class, or choose to miss a class. So I’m grateful that the university allows an ample (but limited) number of unexcused absences. I also appreciate that the university tracks my attendance and will periodically inform me about my absences, especially if they become frequent. These notices from GUST help me manage my attendance, and you can be sure that I will pay particular attention to them because I do not want to lower my grade because I was absent (see #10 below), or get the dreaded FA!

3.     I understand that occasionally GUST’s card readers may malfunction and I may be marked as absent when in fact I was present. On these occasions, I know and acknowledge that it’s still my responsibility, and my responsibility alone, to prove to the university that I attended a class if in fact I did, and most importantly, to get the record clarified by asking GUST to remove my absence. If you agree, Professor, that I was in a class for which GUST has marked me as absent, I will ask you for a change slip to
correct the error. However, I know and acknowledge that I must complete this request within 48 hours of the class meeting in question – otherwise GUST will not change the record. If I wait to request or complete the change slip I may lose the opportunity to correct the university’s attendance record, and in that event I will accept the absence(s) without question or argument. . . . I realize this rule is necessary because there’s a growing number of students at GUST, and to maintain order, the university must impose timed regulations.

4.     I know and acknowledge that I can prevent attendance warnings (and a lower grade, or the dreaded FA), and avoid having to spend time meeting with university personnel to correct my record, by attending classes regularly. It’s as simple as that!

5.     I know and acknowledge that if I did not respond appropriately to attendance notices at the time they were issued (and have proof in writing that I responded appropriately), then I did NOT manage my attendance record. If GUST issues an FA under these circumstances I will accept the FA without question or argument.

6.     I know and acknowledge that if I miss a class there are no excused absences at GUST and I do not need to explain the absence to you. I also know and acknowledge that it is my responsibility to find out what work I missed, and to do so I’ll contact one of my colleagues. That way I’ll be prepared for the next class. I do not expect you, Professor, to repeat the class for me. However, if you handed out materials in my absence I will come to your office and collect the materials.

7.     I know and acknowledge that if I miss a class, regardless of the reason (including hospitalization, illness, a family vacation, a death in the family, etc.), there are no make-ups for assignments that occurred in class. I repeat: No make ups! . . . unless they were pre-approved by you, Professor, in writing. Of course, if I miss a graded assignment my gradebook will reflect a zero for that assignment, and that may lower my Final grade.

8.     I know and acknowledge that it is dishonest to ask another student, or any other person, to swipe my ID card to show that I was in a class that I did not attend, and therefore I will not ask anyone to do this for me. Furthermore, I will not do it for another student.

9.     I know and acknowledge that it is inappropriate to offer excuses such as, “I told you, Professor, that the card reader wasn’t working,” or “I came to you and said I was sick,” or, “You told me you would correct my absences,” etc. Once again, I know and acknowledge that it is solely my responsibility to maintain my attendance record at GUST.

10. I know and acknowledge that my Final grade for this course will include a combined mark for attendance and participation. The meaning of attendance is obvious. Participation means that I ask questions in and out of the classroom; I use my textbook in class; I take notes in class; and I respond to questions in class. I understand that even if I participate and I miss more than three (2) class sessions I will lose one (1) letter grade (for attendance and participation). (See Attendance & Participation Rubric for more details). . . . I understand that this rule is necessary because attendance and (especially) participation facilitates learning, and learning is why I’m enrolled at GUST. Participation is a way to demonstrate that I’m learning.

11. I understand that if I arrive late for class, or leave early, you may mark “partial attendance” on my record. For every two “partial attendances” on my record I will be counted as absent from one (1) class session.

12. I know and acknowledge that it’s important to arrive early for class, pay attention and participate in class, and don’t leave until the class ends.   

Professor, I know you are here to teach, and I want you to know that I am here to learn so that I will acquire and develop valued skills! Therefore, I appreciate the opportunity to explain to you how I will enhance my grade, maintain dignity, and avoid the dreaded FA! Teach me everything you can; I’m ready!


No comments: