Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Understanding & Accepting Your Grade


IMPORTANT MEMO 
From: Dr. John P. Hayes To His Esteemed Students

I consider it an honor to teach you because it is a huge responsibility that comes with dynamic consequences. What you learn, and how well you learn, will help determine your future status in life, and my goal as your teacher is to become a catalyst to inspire you to achieve more than anyone, including you, thought possible. I hope you not only sense the weight of that responsibility, but also the excitement. Imagine how you would feel knowing that you played even a tiny role in a student’s success! As my students have achieved a variety of successes through the years, I have enjoyed those good feelings, and I look forward to experiencing them as a result of teaching you this semester.

I realize that you have choices, including enrolling in another professor’s course, so I’m all the more grateful that you chose my course, and by doing so you have given me an opportunity to influence your future success. Thank you!

Teaching Is My Job

That said, I also want you to know that I accept teaching as a serious responsibility. In fact, it’s been said by some GUST students that I take teaching too seriously. For that I make no apologies. Teaching is the transfer of knowledge whereby I transfer to you, through content and experience, information that will equip and prepare you for a career. That’s serious stuff! I don’t want to be responsible for you achieving less in your career than you are capable of achieving because I didn’t teach you well enough. I will teach you – you can be sure of it. But the question is: Will you learn?

Learning Is Your Job!

Learning is also a serious responsibility. And that’s your responsibility. No one else’s. It’s not GUST’s job, my job, your parent’s job, your advisor’s job, to make sure that you learn.

Learning is solely your job.

I suggest you think about that for a moment, and if there’s a chance that you’re not willing, able, or ready to accept that job, then you should think about alternatives, which include enrolling in another course. Maybe this isn’t the time to enroll in this course? Or maybe you’ve decided you’d really rather find a different professor – one who’s not so serious about education? Now’s the time to think about these important issues, and make a decision, because there’s no turning back once you’ve made the commitment.

I hope you decide to remain enrolled in this course with me because I promise that you (and/or your parents, and/or your scholarship sponsor) will get your money’s worth! I may not be the most entertaining teacher of the year, but I will bring both my academic and professional (real life) experiences into the classroom to teach you, and especially to equip you with information and skills that you can use throughout your career. At the end of the semester I think you will say that this course was unlike anything you previously experienced at GUST, or any other school.

All Grades Are Earned

But before you make your decision – whether to work with me this semester or take another course – pay attention to my rules about grading and grades. First, as you know, you have a right to always know and understand your grade in this course. And since rights are responsibilities, it’s your responsibility to know and understand your grade in this course. That way, your grade won’t come as a surprise at the end of the semester. I expect you to check PeopleSoft to see your grades, and then come to me if you don’t understand a grade. You should also know that PeopleSoft may not be accurate at certain times (having nothing to do with the technology, but having to do with the number of grades to be earned during the semester, the timing of their entry, and the weighting of the grades); and it is merely a recommendation for a Final grade and not an indication of a Final or earned grade.

Oh, yes, grades are earned. Other professors may give you a grade, but you should know that I won’t. Students earn their grades in my courses. You will earn your grades. My syllabus explains the grading scale and you get what you earned based on the points in the grading scale. It’s not only fair, it’s the only sensible way to grade because it puts the student in control (your grade is in your hands, not mine) and it gives the student a way to gauge his or her competency in the subject matter. It’s a real indication of how well you learned, and a reliable indicator that compares your success in the course to that of other students. I hope you find that not only exciting, but you see it as an opportunity. It’s exciting to know that you, and you alone, have the opportunity to earn whatever grade you decide you want! And that when you get your Final grade you will know that it was all your doing. You did not come to me and beg or plead or cry for a higher grade (because you know that doing so would lower the esteem I feel for you, and it would embarrass both of us). You earned the grade!

Regarding the discussion of a grade for the purpose of understanding it, please note that I expect you to visit with me within 48 hours of a grade being issued. After that time period, there will be no discussion (and absolutely no negotiation) about that grade, and the grade will not be changed.
  
Trying Earns A D

You should also know that while I take trying (or effort) into consideration when I grade, you won’t get better than a D for trying unless you also produce results. Just because you claim you tried doesn’t mean you tried. Trying must demonstrate effort – and effort usually produces results. For example, effort requires studying. (It doesn’t count if you just tried to study). And you will likely need to study 1-2 hours for every hour in the classroom!

Effort also requires progress – I want to see that you’re improving, which means you’re making progress. If you put in the effort, you should be able to show progress. Granted, not everyone is equally skilled. Some people don’t have to study much and they can produce desired results. (When I was in college I didn’t like those people!). Other people can study twice as much as everyone else and still not be able to produce equally good results.

Skills Earn Higher Grades

Skills matter. Skilled people earn higher grades. They also get better jobs! You may work harder than anyone else in the class and still not get the highest grade – you may not get an A – because you’re not as skilled in this particular subject area. It’s just a fact of life.

Basic English Is A Required Skill

One final point about skills. Basic English is a skill. And in my classroom, it’s a necessary skill. I deduct points for Basic English errors. Every professor should! Basic English can be learned. It’s a challenge to learn it, but it can be learned. If you have not developed this skill, you’ll have to work harder to earn the grade you desire in this course. If you have not developed this skill, I recommend you make a decision to do so beginning this semester. Do not assume that because you received an A or a B in English classes that you have developed the necessary Basic English skills. Do not tell me that English is your second language – if it is, it’s obvious to me! You’re a student at Gulf University for Science & Technology where courses are taught (and grades are earned) in English. You always have a choice to pursue your education at another university where English is not required.  

If you’ve decided to remain in this course, then I urge you to make one more decision right now. Decide what grade you will earn in the course. Do so, however, with the full realization of what’s required to earn that grade. Look at the grading scale. Look at the resources and content for the course. Note that studying is required. And positive results are required. Even to earn a D, you must achieve at least 60 points (out of 100) during the semester, and you can’t do that without working for those points. Of course, I hope you shoot for a much higher Final grade than a D, but that’s entirely up to you. That makes responsibility all the more exciting, doesn’t it? And challenging, too.

If you’re ready for the challenge, let’s get started!  

No comments: